On Tuesday 11 April 2016, the federal government reached an agreement on the budgetary control. Extra income and tax reforms need to close a gap of around 2.2 billion euros in order to maintain a structural balance by 2018.
The government agreed on the following tax measures:
- New taxes on online gambling, Airbnb and Uber;
- An advanced increase in excise duty on diesel and tobacco (see Belgium-1, News 24 July 2015);
- Various measures as a result of the panama papers (sanctions, exchange of information, seizure of funds, collecting of evidence and audit period);
- A reform of the corporate income tax (plans to be submitted by September);
- Asylum seekers will not immediately able to enjoy certain tax advantages. The benefits would only be available after several months;